Our Life At Destrehan Plantation Tour and is available in French, Spanish & English.
Few Southern plantations bring the past to life as brilliantly as the costumed historic interpreters at Destrehan Plantation. They’ll take you from room to room in the Big House, sharing tales of the people both free and enslaved, who lived here during outbreaks of yellow fever and before and after the Civil War.
You’ll learn about plantation architecture, view one-of-a-kind documents, and discover history in a way you just can’t get from a book. You’ll get a chance to view family treasures. You’ll see a registry listing the names of the enslaved people who lived and worked on the plantation, and you’ll step inside an actual slave cabin, where you can see how the enslaved lived.
After your tour, you can explore several self-guided exhibits, dependency buildings, and the grounds. Our Miller-Haydel Museum (once an overseer’s cabin) hosts the 1811 German Coast Uprising exhibit, the largest slave revolt in U.S. history. The event led to the execution of 44 people trying to escape slavery, including three from Destrehan Plantation: 30-year-olds Gros and Petit Lindor and 45-year-old Jasmin.
The day's first tour is at 9:30 am, then 10:00 am, and every hour after. The last tour of the day Mon - Thur is 3:00 pm and the grounds and gift shop close at 4:30 pm. The last tour of the day Fri - Sun is 4:00 pm and the grounds and gift shop close at 5:30 pm.
Before you come, please note the following:
- AAA and Military discounts are available for up to two people. You must present your military I.D. or AAA card upon arrival.
- If you book your tour for a specific time and arrive early or late, we honor your booking for the entire day. This means you can take the tour that is available when you arrive.
- Groups of 20 or more people require a reservation. See Group Tours for more information.
- All major credit cards accepted
- Photography is welcomed at Destrehan Plantation as long as it does not delay the tour.
- Video and audio taping are prohibited during guided tours.
- Cancellation Policy: If you cannot make the tour, we require notice in writing/email 24 hours before the date of the tour. We do not refund any no-shows.
Buy Tickets & Gift Cards