Plantation life in Louisiana is a fascinating book with many chapters. Whether you're a history buff, a foodie, or just love a good ghost story, you'll find a tour designed for you at Destrehan Plantation. Both individual and group experiences are available as well as day-time and night-time adventures. You'll experience something new every time you visit and come away with a new understanding of what life was like here on the Mississippi River before, during and after the Civil War.
Your admission fees include a guided tour by a costumed historical interpreter, demonstration(s), and self-exploring the exhibits, dependency buildings, and grounds. If you're from Louisiana, bring your out-of-town guests, your colleagues, your church group, or your club members. All proceeds from tours go to the restoration and preservation of Destrehan Plantation and its dependency buildings.
Destrehan Plantation is located only 10 minutes from the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport. For your convenience, we offer free on-site parking and luggage storage while you take your tour. View our location or other transportation options.
Choose from one of our exclusive tours to experience the best of Destrehan plantation:
Our Historic Site Offers:
- History-rich guided tours
- Beautiful scenery
- A relaxing atmosphere
- Picnic areas
- A Heritage Education Program for students
- A gift shop with hand-made items by local artists and craft artisans
- Senior citizens, AAA motor club, military, children, and large group discounts
- Our gift shop, the main house, and the Miller-Haydel Museum are handicap accessible
- A guided tour of the plantation home by a historical interpreter
- Access to The Jefferson Room - featuring an authentic document signed by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
- Access to The Herbert J Harvey, Jr. Legacy Room - featuring interactive media and original artifacts and documents from the family members
- Access to the 1811 German Coast Uprising, a Slave Revolt Exhibit in the Miller-Haydel Museum.
- Self-guided tour of the grounds and dependency buildings
- A daily folk-life demonstration
Uber and Lyft provide transportation to and from the plantation!
Before you come, please note the following:
- AAA and Military discounts are available for up to two people. You must present your military I.D. or AAA card upon arrival.
- If you book your tour for a specific time and arrive early or late, we honor your booking for the entire day. This means you can take the tour that is available when you arrive.
- Groups of 20 or more people require a reservation. See Group Tours for more information.
- All major credit cards accepted
- Photography is welcomed at Destrehan Plantation as long as it does not delay the tour.
- Video and audio taping are prohibited during guided tours.
- Cancellation Policy: If you cannot make the tour, we require notice in writing/email 24 hours before the date of the tour. We do not refund any no-shows.